The Butcher's Guild
blueblade3000 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi. After years of disappointment in the availability of locally raised, quality meats (and pork with fat on it), I have decided to take action. Rather than lament the state of things, I want to do something about it. I suggested to my two closest friends (and current business partners in a non-meat related industry) that we open a butcher's shop. They are equally enthused and on board.

Now, aside from a love of tradition, sustainability, and fresh, local, seasonal foods, we have no background or experience in the field. We realize this is a goal that will take time but have no idea where to begin.

We are currently running a business and cannot take long breaks for schooling, but I plan to attend 1 or 2 week hands-on courses as time allows.

In the meantime, what can you suggest as learning material to whet my appetite and get me started? Are there any online apprenticeships? I realize that only so much can be taught without getting your hands dirty, but there must be plenty that can be conveyed through written materials.

I considered joining the guild, eager to access the archived webinars and other material, but I'm not sure I qualify. Does my desire to learn the craft constitute being "in the process" of becoming a butcher?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
samgarwin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there,

I'm happy to chat with you about the options. Send me an email at sam@fleishers.com and we'll set up a time.

Best,
Sam
Post 2 • IP   flag post
626 2 2
destitute