The Butcher's Guild

A little guidance thank you291

Levi88 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,
I'm Levi a 28 year old union carpenter from Ohio. I have been tired of my trade for some time. I have no passion for it anymore, but it's what pays the bills. I have worked in a Jewish deli when I was younger where they cooked there meats in house. Food as I see it is what everyone needs and a good place to start saving the environment and help to revitalize the food culture that America lost from the industrialization of our food.

I have been thinking of becoming a butcher for the past few years but never knew a good place to start. I have never killed an animal besides a fish. I have chopped up a cleaned chicken to cook it. Other than that I have no experience. I don't expect to become a butcher in a few weeks or months. I was wondering if there are weekend classes anywhere. I would apply for jobs and learn on the job, but there's not many butchers around me. On top of that they could not pay me what I make now. I have tried to talk to the few that are around and they were not so interested in teaching me. I think my goals would be to take some classes if there are any or to find someone to teach me and see if I like it and if so learn. then start a part time weekend business butchering for the farmers and friends until I could gain enough experience to run a proper shop. If you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Vpl216 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Levi,
I'm not sure what part of Ohio you're from but we are looking for an apprentice meat cutter in Solon OH just southeast of Cleveland. If you're interested reply to milesmeats@hotmail.com.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
MaxM private msg quote post Address this user
You mentioned shops not able to pay what you make now. I don't know about Ohio, but in California butchers don't make nearly as much as union carpenters regardless of their experience.. It's not a money thing for most of us and we are willing to sacrifice some luxuries for work we love.
Good luck out there.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
625 3 3
destitute