The Butcher's Guild
Bogey88 private msg quote post Address this user
Having lived in Southern California for 16 years, my wife and I always kept a couple of tri tip roasts in our freezer. Tri tip was an accidental cut of beef from Santa Rosa, CA many years ago (go ahead and Google it to get the interesting history.) We moved back to Michigan in 2011 and scoured high and low for tri tip. Nothing. I even went to butcher shops in the Detroit area and asked and they just gave me a befuddled look. They never heard of it. Were these guys actually butchers? Our daughter lives in western Michigan and there are several places which carry them. She brings a couple when she visits.

Question: Why are delicious tri tip roasts unavailable in metro Detroit? I find this dumbfounding. They would sell like crazy. Any logical explanation will be appreciated.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Chef_JP private msg quote post Address this user
The tri tip is the triangular muscle of the bottom sirloin. The bottom sirloin consists of the flap (Bavette), tri tip or triangle, and ball tip. Hope this helps.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
The tri tip is primarily a California phenomenon although originally deputed to have been popularized by Jack Ivaldo at his NYC premium Florence Meat Shoppe. He called them Newport Steaks as the tri angle reminded him of the logo on a pack of Newport cigarettes.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Blame spell check. Jack Ubaldi and reputed. Tri tip never caught on in the East.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
620 4 4
destitute