The Butcher's Guild

james beard grant internship help195

memays private msg quote post Address this user
Hi! My name is Mary. I'm 28. I've been a cook for 5 years. I was employed as a butcher at the co-op grocer for a year. I've butchered about a dozen whole hogs, two whole lambs, endless amounts of poultry, never a whole cow, and broken down loads of primal cuts. I also have good charcuterie experience although I have never done a ham. I am applying for the James Beard continuing education grant for 2015. I am required to create my own cirriculum. Simply put, I want to learn how to clean out intestines for sausage and other post-slaughter harvesting involving what is normally buried in a field/thrown away. Where can I do this? Who does this? Thanks for your help. Also, I'm in Albuquerque, NM, but I have a travel budget and the ability to stage for up to 4 weeks (if i get the grant, and maybe even if i don't).
Post 1 • IP   flag post
eedwards80 private msg quote post Address this user
Try reaching out to Camas Davis at pdx meat.com
Post 2 • IP   flag post
thank you!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
samgarwin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Mary,

You may want to check out Adam's Farm/Processing in Massachusetts. They have a best-in-class USDA slaughterhouse and are small enough that they might be able to work with you:
http://adamsfarm.biz/index.html

Best of luck,
Sam Garwin
Fleisher's Craft Butchery
Post 4 • IP   flag post
thank you sam!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
AmericanButchers private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Mary,
Send us an email and we'd be able to help you- AmericanButchers@gmail.com. - Calvin
Post 6 • IP   flag post
626 6 6
destitute